I’m kind of obsessed with interior lights.
I remember back when I was around 11, I took my first trip to Ikea with my parents after we had moved to Singapore. We went because we needed some new inexpensive furniture for the house we were living in since we didn’t bring everything with us. Well, once we walked through the lighting section I was in heaven. There were so many options! I think that was the day I started to pay attention to the impact lights can make in a space. Well, I was 11, so it was probably more like I noticed that I like pretty lights, but as I’ve grown up I love how light fixtures can transform a space.
While making our plans for our new house and the projects we needed to tackle I was so excited to put together a lighting board to share with Jordan. We may have a few years of projects and remodels ahead of us, but I am thrilled that I can justify new light fixtures in every room! Our last house was a brand new house, so even the suggestion of updating the pendants from the builder’s choice was met with eye rolls. I had a ton of fun looking for new lights to match our plans, in the process, I feel like I have found some amazing places to find lights.
Where we found our lights.
We are literally going to replace every light that was in the house when we purchased it. So far we have replaced lights in 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, the upstairs hallway, and all of our closets. We have picked out most of the other lights as well, but we are slowly working through our list of to-do’s so we haven’t purchased the rest yet (kitchen nook, entry, dining room, living room, and exterior.).
I have picked out a combination of decently affordable options, as well as some more expensive statement pieces that we will be installing. In my search, I feel like I have found some amazing light shops. Here are my favorite places to look for light fixtures, including the ones I’ve purchased and installed so far!
- Pottery Barn Kids & Teen : We picked the new fixture for Reagan’s room from PBkids, it was actually a gift for her first birthday from a family member. I love it! Her room is going to be a little more boho themed, so it sets the vibe perfectly. We also picked out an amazing flush mount from PBteen for the upstairs guest bath. It has black tile and we are going for a pretty modern look in there so this light fixture matched perfectly. We love it so much we found some similar ones that are flush mount for the hallway, which leads me to…
- Shades of Light : I originally found the vanity light I liked for the guest bath on All Modern, but as I was double-checking to make sure I didn’t like anything else more I found the same light at Shades of Light – and it was like $70 cheaper! It looks so much better than the gross mirrored Hollywood style light that was peak 80’s. We also got our 2 geometric glass hall lights from this store. They look very similar to the one in the guest bathroom and we searched them out since we loved that look so much!
- All Modern & Wayfair : All Modern and Wayfair are part of the same company if you were wondering. I love searching their sites for great finds at affordable prices. We purchased the new powder room vanity light from All Modern, and I also found the same vanity light we put in the guest room bath here (see above). As for our master bedroom – my father-in-law put an amazing modern looking fan in his vacation home, I fell in love and was inspired to search for a fan fixture for our room. Jordan didn’t love the look I initially picked, so we compromised and found one we were both happy with. We are painting the wall behind our bed black and we decided this one will look nice once our room is complete. The last fixture, which we haven’t ordered yet, is from Wayfair. We are planning on putting this amazing mesh drum light in our kitchen nook. The kitchen table we are hoping to replace with a round concrete and wood looking option, so we are hoping to purchase both at the same time for a complete design.
- Lumens : In our great room we have an area that would commonly be used as a dining room, but we are currently using it as our office. It’s a transitional space as we move in and decide on how we want to renovate the main floor, and until we turn our extra bedroom into the office (I think that’s the plan as of now…) that space will have to to do. Regardless of how we are using the space, this is the light we fell in love with. It’s another one we have on our “to purchase” list, but it is a show stopper.
- Home Depot : Last but not least, Home Depot is a great resource. When you have to replace every light in your house it can get expensive, so I was happy to find some very classic and clean fixtures that were affordable here. I put this fixture in all 3 of our closets. We put this in because I wanted to make sure the closets had good light, the fixture is timeless and unobtrusive, plus it was only $30!
Get your own!
Here is a quick round-up of the lights that we have put in our home so far, plus some of the options I considered, and still love, but didn’t choose. The new lights look amazing and have only made me notice all of the other things that need to be done to complete the look… of course.
There are obviously a million more amazing stores and lighting options, which is why I have only made a part 1! I am planning on making a part 2 covering many more of my favorite lighting stores including PDX fixture Rejuvenation.
Hope everyone had a great Mother’s Day, now go dream about your dream lights.